How can you go wrong with apple, carrots, and ginger? You just can't.
Yield: ~5 cups
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil + more for garnish
- 1 small onion, diced (1 cup diced onion)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tbsp fresh grated ginger
- 1 large apple
- 1.5 pounds carrots, peeled and chopped (~5 cups)
- 4 cups vegetable broth (I used full sodium)
- pinch of nutmeg
- Kosher salt, freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1. In a large pot, add 1 tbsp olive oil over low-medium heat. Add chopped onion and cook for about 5 minutes until translucent. Add minced garlic and ginger and cook for another couple minutes on low. Add chopped apple and carrots and cook for a few minutes more.
2. Add the vegetable broth, stir, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low-medium and simmer for 20 minutes, or until tender.
3. Carefully transfer this mixture into a blender (or you can use an immersion blender probably), add a pinch of nutmeg, and blend until smooth. You might need to do this in 2 batches depending on the size of your blender. You don’t want the soup more than halfway full or it might explode through the top. Make sure to allow steam to escape through the top of the blender lid too.
4. Add salt and pepper to taste. You can also thin the soup out a bit with more broth. Serve and garnish with freshly ground pepper and a drizzle of olive oil. It goes lovely with fresh bread and Earth Balance. Makes 5 delicious cups!